The Commercial Coating and Flooring Symposium on Jan. 31 in Tampa, Fla., sponsored by Durability + Design, will address a variety of topics of importance to specifiers and users of paint, coatings, air-barrier systems, flooring systems, and other technologies.
The symposium, scheduled during the SSPC 2012 conference and exposition, is organized by the recently launched SSPC Commercial Coating Committee. The SSPC conference and expo are scheduled for Jan. 30-Feb. 2, 2012, in Tampa, Fla.
Also scheduled for Feb. 1 are meetings of the Commercial Coating Committee and several subcommittees that have been formed to address specific topic areas.
SSPC: The Society for Protective Coatings recently launched the SSPC Commercial Coating Committee to develop standards and guides related to surface preparation, coatings selection and coatings application for the commercial, architectural and institutional sectors. Ken Trimber, president of KTA-Tator Inc., is chair of the Commercial Coating Committee.
and Flooring Symposium program
For the Commercial Coatings and Flooring Symposium, program topics and speakers are the following.
• An Architect’s Call for Paint Standards, Walter Scarborough, HALL Building Information Group.
• Extending the Life Cycle of Coatings Applied to Commercial Buildings, Barry Law, Master Painters Institute.
• Fundamentals of Making Good Decisions in Coating Selection, Allen Zielnik, Atlas Material Testing Technology, an AMETEK Company.
• New Architectural Wall Coatings Technology Targeted at Stricter Hospital Infection Protocols, Steven Reinstadtler, Bayer MaterialScience.
• Moisture Vapor Emission Rates of Concrete Floors—Can Moisture Meters be Used Instead of Anhydrous Calcium Chloride?, Kevin Brown, KTA-Tator Inc., and George Holz.
• Hard Truths about Concrete Polishing, Joe Reardon, PROSOCO Concrete Products Group.
• The Impact of the Painting Industry by New Building Codes and Standards for Air/Vapor Barriers, Kevin Knight, Retro-Specs Ltd.
• Air Barrier Testing of Concrete Masonry Assemblies and the Effects of Surface Coatings on Air Permeance, Nicholas R. Lang and Jason J. Thompson, National Concrete Masonry Association.
• Use of Atlas Test Cells to Assess the Performance of Coatings over CMU with Varied Permeance, Cindy O’Malley, KTA-Tator Inc.; Chuck Duffin, Sto Corp.; and Steve Revnew, The Sherwin-Williams Company
• The New SSPC Commercial/Light Industrial Committee, Ken Trimber, KTA-Tator Inc.
Commercial Coating Committee meetings
Meetings of the new Commercial Coating Committee will get under way at 11 a.m. Feb. 1 with a general session of the committee as a whole. Subcommittee meetings are:
1:30 p.m.—Commercial Coatings Materials, chaired by Steven Reinstadtler, Bayer MaterialScience;
1:30 p.m.—Commercial Flooring, chaired by Fred Goodwin, BASF;
3 p.m.—Commercial Cleaning and Painting, chaired by Cindy O’Malley, KTA-Tator Inc.;
3 p.m. —Commercial Air Barriers, chaired by Kevin Knight, Retro-Specs Ltd.; and
4:30 p.m.—Commercial Contractor Certification, chaired by Jeff Theo, Vulcan Painters Inc.
More information: www.sspc.org.